Tuesday, June 3, 2014

THE HERMIT WHO REVIVES THE TIGER

As a story has it: There is a lone tiger sleeping at the entrance of a snake’s home, and was killed by the snake. On that day, a hermit came across the dead tiger, feeling pity with the animal; he used the magic spells to revive the tiger.

Back to its feet, the tiger said: “I am having a sound sleep in my forest home why did you awake me? I will eat you”, “You slept over the hole of a snake which killed you. I revived you so you should be grateful to me, rather than killing me”, explained the hermit. The old man was very angry and started arguments with the tiger. They did not see eye to eye, and decided to bring the case to the wolf. The wolf said to himself: “the wolf then ruled that the hermit had to offer himself to the tiger to eat, the wolf’s judgment was partial.

The hermit is not satisfactory, and the ruckus went on again. They two brought the case to the cow, which thought that if he ruled against the tiger, he would be killed by the tiger. So the cow ruled that the tiger could eat the hermit. The decision by the cow is regarded as partial. The hermit was not happy with the hjudgment, and he again complained to the monkey. They monkey said to himself: “There was once a man falling into the water well. My dad helped the man to climb the tree to avoid the danger. But he was a bad man. He killed my dad”. The monkey then decided to let the tiger have the hermit as food. The monkey acted out of his anger.

The hermit was not happy with the judgment. He made complaints with the vulture. The bird said himself: “Every day I’ve got the kill left over from the tiger. If I rule against him, I will anger him. So I will no longer be able to have the kill left over from the tiger”. The vulture then decided to allow the tiger eat the hermit. The vulture’s ruling is described as greedy.

Disagreeing, the hermit turned to the forest divinity for help. The divinity said to him: “All human souls, who roam the forest, always reply on the shade of the trees. But they always pick the branches, the leaves, strip the barks off and cut down the trunk”. With this idea the hermit decided to rule in favor of the tiger, allowing the animal to eat the hermit. The forest divinity’s judgment is described as ignorant and dishonest.

The hermit did not accept the fuling. He brought the tiger to a meeting with the rabbit. “The tiger slept at the entracnce of the snake’s hole. And he was killed by the snake. I helped revive him, thinking that he would be grateful to me. But he now wants to eat me instead. Please help to judge this case”, the hermit recount the ncident. And the tiger also gave his account, saying: “I was having a sound sleep in the forest, and this hermit just woke me up. So I must bite him. The hermit did not agree, and took me to the wolf, which allowed me to eat the man. He still did not agree, and we went to the cow for judgement. The cow gave the same ruling. Again the hermit rejected the decision, and complained to the monkey, which ruled in favor of me. The hermit did not accept the monekey’s decision, and he brought me to the vulture and the forest divinity, who all ruled that I can eat the man. And now he lodges complaint with you. So it is up to you to decide on the case”.

Listening to the hermit and the tiger, the rabbit used his wisdom to get a clear picture of the story and to give the judgment. He asked the two to take him to the place where the disagreement started, and had the tiger lie back on the snake’s hole like he did before. The cobra came out and killed the tiger with its bite.

When the tiger died, the rabbit said to the hermit: “Look at the tiger, because of its ungratefulness; it cannot get away with its karma. From now on you must not do any good deed with tigers. The rabbit’s ruling is described as righteous – that is hones and just.

- The END -

No comments:

Post a Comment